Re: Strange pubescens

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von Bill Steele am 25 Mai, 2002 um 06:41:16

Antwort auf: Re: Strange pubescens von Michael Weinert am 18 Mai, 2002 um 22:31:12:

Dear Michael,

I think Paul Perakos' plant and yours are not particularly abnormal. Cyp. parviflorum is a highly variable species. Just within a few km of my home, Cyp. parviflorum var. pubescens has colors varying from a highly "blonde" yellow form to one resembling Cyp. parviflorum var. parviflorum with deep maroon lateral petals but tall stature like pubescens. In the western part of our state, Minnesota, at the edges of the prairie, there are forms of Cyp. parviflorum that have big red blotches all over the pouch. I have no doubt that both Paul's and your plant are Cyp. parviflorum, and probably var. pubescens.

There are a couple issues of the North American Native Orchid Journal (NANOJ) that treat color variations in C. parviflorum var. pubescens. In the September 1999 issue, Ron Coleman discusses color variation in some large populations of C. pubescens near the southern limit of its range. He has a photo showing a flower with the whole lip covered with red spots. It looks like it has measles!

The other article is in the December 1998 issue of the NANOJ. The article is by Rob Freeman and is entitled "Cypripedium Hybrids in Mahnomen County, Minnesota.". I was at the meeting where Rob presented the original talk, and he had many color slides of strange-looking C. pubescens with bright red blotches all over their yellow pouches.

Best wishes

Bill

Antworten:

back / zurück