Re: Strange pubescens

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von Scott Durkee am 23 Mai, 2002 um 09:41:04

Antwort auf: Re: Strange pubescens von Michael Weinert am 18 Mai, 2002 um 22:31:12:

I do know of a var.pubescens that blooms every year with red dots all over the top of the slipper. Since most pubescens I've seen from around the US have some form of red spotting, usually around the opening to the lip, I simply would look at this as simple genetic variation within the species.

The Cyp. parviflorum complex is quite polymorphic from what I've witnessed. My general thought is that Cyp.parviflorum var. parviflorum and Cyp. parviflorum var. pubescens are simply the 2 extremes of an otherwise quite variable species. This genetic variability is probably precisely what allows this species to so easily adapt to most garden settings.

Cyp. kentuckiense has developed as a completely independent and very consistent species within the north americam yellow complex mainly because its flowering period is essentially mutually exclusive of the other yellow species. C.kentuckiense begins to bloom just about when the Cyp. parviflorum var. parviflorum (the last to bloom) has finished.

Best

Scott

Antworten:

back / zurück