Re: C. acaule culture and symbiotic fungi

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von Uta von Rad am 02 Mai, 2002 um 16:23:09

Antwort auf: Re: C. acaule culture von Robert St-Jean am 01 Mai, 2002 um 22:09:51:

Hi,

again I have to say my first hand experience with symbiotic fungi of Cypripediums is not very good, BUT: I just came back from a conference where a person held a long talk about so-called symbiotic fungi. Their experiments weren´t with Cypripediums of course (not even with orchids) but they said that their results should probably apply: What they found out is, that most so called symbiotic fungi are very good for the plant till the moment the plant is weakened. They found that their fungi multiplied rapidly when their plants lacked for example potassium or other nutrients. So what happens is: plant and fungi are controlling each other and so both have benefits untill the moment one partner is weakened. Than the symbiontic partnership turns into parasitism-and the plant is (or can be) killed. So what I would say is: an acaule would probably not imediately die from a higher pH. But if it is weakened enough the fungus will take over. And that taking over can be the reason, why it dies. Increase in pH will for example influence the availability of iron for plants. I don´t know what else but there will be others.

So I guess the theory of acaule plants beeing less in danger of beeing eaten if they are raised without the fungus could be correct. But of course the fungus in the RIGHT environment would be beneficial... So in short: finding optimal growth conditions is still the best way...

happy growing

Uta

Antworten:

back / zurück