C. acaule culture

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von Robert St-Jean am 30 April, 2002 um 14:57:38

I agree with the comments on C. acaule and that plants from the wild are very likely not to survive in cultivation. It is so important to purchase only C. acaule seedlings that have been raised artificially. Uta is correct in the recommendations on how to attempt saving those 3 plants. C acaule that has been grown in the wild is dependant on a symbiosis relationship with a fungus that will actually attack the plants if the pH of the soil is allowed to rise. I've had some limited success in raising C. acaule from seed and have found that these seedlings appear to be just as happy being watered with plain rainwater as with rainwater with apple cider vinegar. I use a mixture of 1/2 peat moss and 1/2 perlite and they are growing indoors under lights. I must admit however that these seedlings are only a year old so my experience with them is limited. I intend to water them with the vinegar water from time to time. Once established in my garden bed I will water them more often with vinegar water.

I welcome your comments on the following. Could it be possible that artificially propagated seedlings of C. acaule planted in a garden bed could become infected with the correct fungus for a symbiosis relationship. If so the seedlings would likely not survive if the pH was allowed to rise. Because of this possibility it may be even more important to water them with the vinegar water.

Robert St-Jean
Ottawa Ontario Canada

Antworten:

back / zurück