Culture of C.guttatum

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von Michael Weinert am 31 Dezember, 2001 um 12:40:10

Antwort auf: Culture of some Cyps? von Matti Niissalo am 26 Dezember, 2001 um 20:13:53:

Dear Matti,

Regarding the soil for C.guttatum you will find some postings in the section "Culture" of this forum. Another important point is, that most plants of C.guttatum need a longer chilling period during winter than most other Cyps (the same is true for C.yatabeanum and the hybrid of both species, C.alaskanum). This is an adaptation to the long winter time in their natural habitats. To be on the safe side, I would recommend to keep the temperature below 5°C (40°F) over 3-4 months. If the winter is over before this sum of cool temperature has been reached, the shoot bud remains dormant (with the danger of rot during the growing season) or the shoot has a problematic development (see photo: one shoot stopped growing after reaching the surface, the other developed only one leaf with chlorophyll defects and no stem). Therefore I recommend to put the pot into the refrigerator during warmer periods from November to February in order to ensure sufficient chilling.

C.henryi has no special requirements and can be cultivated like C.macranthos and others.

I don't have enough experience with C.plectrochilum to say something about the culture of this species. It seems to be more sensitive than the average.

I hope this helps
Michael