Photos of extraordinary plants (9 b): C.micranthum

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von Darcy Gunnlaugson am 07 Juni, 2001 um 07:16:42

I grow these plants on a slight mossy incline in a natural forest setting. The site is supplied with dappled overstory shade the entire day. Nevertheless the plants receive a high degree of bright but filtered light. They are very shy blooming and took 3 years to climatize and naturalize at this location, to produce last year's first bloom. I think the early season is always too cold and often the flower does not fully develop before it rots... and no seed has ever occurred even with manual selfing, or from insects if any.

They have always produced abundant leaves, which are about a third to one quarter the size of fargesii by example. Like C. wardii, C. passerinum and C. japonicum here, they are shy bloomers. These micranthum grow in a mix of perlite and fine black forest earth at an approximate 65-35 ratio over good drainage, with a topping of forest moss. They seem to prefer damp (but not wet) growing conditions, and as with all members of the genus here, are afforded winter protection from rains.

I suspect, as with most Asian miniatures, that a longer adjustment time is required to produce predictable bloom, than with the larger species. It has been that way at this location. An interesting aside about this little enclave is that they are dimorphic… that is, a few leaves are pure green (immature?) and the remainder have the sparse spotting. It is this way each year.

Darcy

Antworten: