Great American Cyps: C.parviflorum (with photos)

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von Mark Johnson am 13 Mai, 2001 um 21:45:12

This Cypripedium parviflorum var. parviflorum grows just fine in my sandy Ohio bog gardens. The soil is constantly moist but not wet. C. parviflorum is about half the size in flower and growth habit of C. parviflorum var. pubescens but it is twice the size of C. parviflorum var. makasin. Its yellow pouch is surrounded by brown sepals. Grows about 12 inches tall.

----------------------------
Here's a close-up of the tiny Cypripedium parviflorum var. makasin. It's blooming now in my Northern Ohio woodland garden (USDA Zone 5). This variety was once lumped in as parviflorum var. parviflorum but it is definately different! It is the smallest yellow form in the US growing in all the states that border the Great Lakes and Canada. Its flowers are as small as C. candidum and C. henryi. The bright yellow pouch has little pink spots and the twisted sepals are always the darkest maroon! I grow it in a loose soil of sand, limestone, pine bark, and gravel in equal parts with some crumbly humus thrown in. It is always moist in this spot in high open shade.

Antworten: