Re: Taiwanese Cypripediums

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von Lukas Hunziker am 27 November, 2007 um 13:55:09

Antwort auf: Re: Taiwanese Cypripediums von Tom Velardi am 27 November, 2007 um 00:14:37:

Dear Tom,
First of all, I want to say that no Cypripedium is really common in Taiwan. They grow on very few places. But the taiwanese macranthos is the most seen Cypripedium because of its habitat on top of the mountains, which are somtimes visited by alpinists. The other Cypripedium in Taiwan grow mostly in very unreachable places. Which are far away from any road or path. Maybe somone who have seen them in Taiwan personally can say more about this?

About the climat in Taiwan: They grow in a temperate rainy climate with dry winter in the mountain areas. The temperature in mountainous areas drops with increasing altitude. Summer and winter monsoons also bring intermittent rainfall to Taiwan's hills and central mountains. As a result, more than 2,500 millimeters of rain fall every year. Huoshaoliao is the rainiest place in Taiwan, receiving 6,700 mm of rain a year.
( These informations are from the taiwanese Website: http://twgeog.geo.ntnu.edu.tw/english/climatology/climatology.htm )

I don't know how this is in Japan, but here in Europe it is very uncommon and I don't know anybody who has it in cultivation. An exception is maybe Werner Frosch, but I can't remember if I have seen the plant in his collection.
How frequent is this variety seen in Japan in collections?

All the best

Lukas

Antworten:

back / zurück