Re: How to divide Cypripediums

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von Michael Weinert am 21 Oktober, 2007 um 11:42:21

Antwort auf: Re: How to divide Cypripediums von Maren Talbot am 20 Oktober, 2007 um 10:12:28:

Dear Maren,

I am happy that my posting produced so many positive reactions. Without doubt it is one of the central topics for a Cyp grower. Here are the answers to your questions.

As long as the clump has been healthy before dividing it is OK to replant the divisions in the same spot. However the divisions have anyhow to be planted with some distance between them (I would say approx. 20 cm), so the spot can't exactly be the same which is not bad.

If the clump has grown well at the spot before I would change nothing, also would not treat the soil, except perhaps removing competing roots from other plants.

Cypripediums are not dependent on mycorrhizal fungi in their adult stage. Several people failed to isolate a vital mycorrhizal fungus out of the roots of adult Cyps. However a good soil live (whatever this is, you can only see it at the plant's well-being) works as a protection against pathogens and so keeps the clump healthy. But this is only a observation. It can't be controlled or influenced easily.

I hope this helps

Michael

Antworten:

back / zurück