Re: What went wrong on my formosanum experience?

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von Paul Perakos am 02 Mai, 2005 um 21:38:53

Antwort auf: What went wrong on my formosanum experience? von Winkle Kwan am 02 Mai, 2005 um 20:56:14:

Hi Wink,

That is quite unusual. If the plant was healthy and properly vernalized, it should have grown as you received it in the Spring. Cyp. formosanum is a very quick grower and makes large buds. Were the buds plump and green when you received the plant? They should have been at least an inch or two and vribrant green. I'll e-mail you a photo of my formosanum in bud..

My guess is the plants you were sold had some sort of bacterial infection. The buds will literally rot and liquify and some times the rot spreads to the rhizome. My formosanum was potted in a mix of cactus potting soil, perlite and tropical orchid mix. After winning 3 blue ribbons at the Connecticut Orchid Show, it decided to get sick on me and 3 of the 4 growth buds rotted in a matter of days. 

To save the plant, unpot it, rinse it off thoroughly. Put in a bowl luke warm water and pour in 1/4 cup of hydrogen peroxide. Dip it in the bowl and let it soak for about one minute and then plant it outside. You might get it to survive.

Are the other Cyps calceolus or pubescens? Those are easier to grow.

My advice to you is to please start out with some hybrids. 'Gisela' and my new favorite, 'Aki', are much easier to grow. I am not a big fan of potting Cyps but people like Wilford Neptune have had extraordinary results with potting Cyps. Another good piece of advice, though I might get banished from the Cyp. forum, is buy some Phrags. They look so much like Cyps, they bloom for months, and their pot culture is quite easy.

Good luck!

Paul

Antworten:

back / zurück