What went wrong on my formosanum experience?

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von Winkle Kwan am 02 Mai, 2005 um 20:56:14

Dear Cyp enthusiasts:

I was attracted to Cypripedium (and strangely not at all to the Paphs ...) and finally decided to plunge in last year. Having done my research, I decided to try the formosanum first since it is supposed to be the easiest. I ordered from our local Canadian Fraser Thimble Farm a two growth rhizome last spring. I thought it is easier to provide care if I put it in a pot first. To my disappointment, the new growths barely emerged before they turned brown and died.

I called the supplier and was told that there is still a chance if I keep the rhizome alive. So I did and a third growth did come out later in the year. I had high hopes but the same happened this spring and the new growth never grew beyond 1 inch.

What went wrong? The potting mix was a composite of mainly lava rocks and perlite. I did throw in a small quantity of "over the counter" potting mix and some cedar leaves from my garden. The potting was placed under a large cedar tree and exposed to our usual spring rain here in the Pacific Northwest. I doubt it was my cultural condition though since the new growths never reached beyond 1 - 2 inches.

I thought I would forget about Cypripediums since they are so expensive but the local orchid show is coming and I am itching to try again. If I try again, I would like to first put it in a pot. What should I pay attention to and what cyp should I get? I saw some healthy looking calceolus the other day at a local store. Is that easier than formosanum?

Many thanks

Wink in Vancouver

Antworten:

back / zurück