Don't buy Cyps with cut roots!

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von Uta von Rad am 05 April, 2005 um 10:36:42

Antwort auf: Re: Cyps need root tips to absorb fertilizer? von Uta von Rad am 28 Maerz, 2005 um 21:43:59:

Hi Everyone;

after writing this last statement I got several emails from friends about the problem of cut root tips and I want to add a strong statement to what I wrote last in response of what they told me and I completley agree:

Do not buy any Cypripediums with cut roots!!!!!

Now what I meant with my last posting is that I do not believe that root tips are the only way for a Cyp to take up nutrients. I still stand by that and do not want to take it back. I wanted to say that if you dig up your own plant in your garden and you accidentally cut of the root tips or part of the root tips then you should not throw the plant out and dispair. But I can only discourage you in the strongest way to buy a plant with cut roots. Very often the reason will be that the plant was wild collected and that the roots where cut off for easier digging. These plants will be stressed already and the cut roots are an ideal entry for pathogens. I have seen experts with the greatest care loosing such plants and I can only discourage you again to buy such plants.

Best!

Uta

Antworten:

back / zurück