Re: Next step

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von Michael Vaughn am 18 Maerz, 2005 um 04:55:51

Antwort auf: Re: Next step von Sylvain Burgaud am 17 Maerz, 2005 um 23:05:56:

It's hard to say how much lime to add per se, but you'd want to add it right away. The amount has a lot to do with the amount of mix you are using. Also since lime is a powder it doesn't buffer the mix to the correct pH range long so you end up having to add more lime periodically. Pelletized lime has a much longer life span and you can usually find that in the lawn section since it is often used for grass. That's what I used and I just added a few coffee mug fulls to the several gallons of mix I produced. So for the amount of mix you're looking at to fill that hole I'd say a coffee mug or two of lime or pelletized lime.

Since you're new at this I'll suggest several things before you put it in the garden. One I would first grow it in a very large pot. Maybe a 2 gallon pot. This has two benefits. One large pots are more stable in retaining moisture evenly, and two they drain better. Replant it, and water (with distilled water) it in so the soil settles well. Then don't water until the Cyp really starts to grow well. When it is 5-10 cm tall water it with distilled water with a quarter strength fertilizer. As I mentioned reginae is a heavy feeder. How much to water is another tricky thing because it has many variables attached to it. Temperature, size of plant, metabolism of plant, etc. You'll have to stratch at the surface of the mix from time to time to see if it is still wet below until you've figured out the dynamics of your blend. Then it becomes intuitive.

When the plant is mature I'd say you can put it in the garden since this is when it starts producing its new roots. I'd even suggest just sinking the pot into the ground and covering it with mulch to hide the pot rim. This way you can easily check on the root system from time to time to make sure your mix is suitable and if the growth is small this year you can take it to a sheltered position if for some reason you get weather that might damage the plant in its delicate years. I.e. torential rains, frost, hail, etc. This will also give you a change to find a good spot in the garden for it without having to disturb the root system should you have to move it.

I'm using this sunken pot method for some Cyp. acaule at my Mother's place which is fortunate because I moved them once last year and am redoing the bed they are in this year so I will move them again. But as far as they are concerned they are not being moved at all and they don't exhibit any shock that might occur if the root system were disturbed. When you're skilled at growing Cyps then think about devoting beds to them. A lot more can go wrong in an open bed than in a pot and you can get the same aesthetic effect by sinking the pot in the ground. This will give you more control and should things go wrong you can react very quickly.

Good luck,

Vaughn

Antworten:

back / zurück