Next step

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von Michael Vaughn am 16 Maerz, 2005 um 05:27:30

Antwort auf: Re: Introduction and help for a beginner von Sylvain BURGAUD am 15 Maerz, 2005 um 23:40:33:

It s good to see that the internal part of the bud is relatively unaffected. However I'm noticing two things. One that you have slightly uncovered the base of some of the roots. Although the bud surface should dry out you must make sure to leave the roots covered. This can be a bit tricky but with some careful soil mounding it can be done. Number two is that your soil looks a bit too moist. I'm assuming you didn't water it after treating the bud so it might be too moisture retentive. Soils high in organics for the calcium loving species has been my major mistake in the past. Especially while growing in pots since the water doesn't disperse as freely as it does in the ground. Overly wet soils will just give disease a greater foothold. Furthermore the organics you are using look pretty fine and possibly peat based.

Here is what I would do. Go to a Lowes hardware store if one is around you and buy a bad of their aquatic grit. You'll find it in the pond section. Also get a bad of silica sand medium or course grade out of masonary. Do not use play sand or fine sand for pavers. You want the coarse stuff. Perlite is good too if you're using pots but I suggest sifting it. You'd be surprised how much dust you get per bag and it adds to soil compaction. As for organics I'm not quite sure what to suggest. Something fibrous is the best but lowes usually only offers peat based mixes. One possibility is fir bark (fine grade) used for tropica orchids. You'll want to soak the fir bark for a couple of hours to wet it properly. This might seem like a potentially bone try mix but the aquatic soil and the bark are quite water retentive. You'll want about 3/4-1 inch of the mix overtop of the roots so surface drying won't affect the roots at the base of the bud. The larger the pot the better as it is more stable and has better drainage.

A blend off the top of my head would be

Two parts sand
One part aquatic grit or seramis
One part orchid bark
One part perlite

If you can't find the aquatic grit

Three Parts Sand
Two Parts Perlite
Two Parts Orchid Bark
Be sure to add a bit of lime or pelletized lime to keep this cyp happy.

Now that the plant rescue question is taken care of on to the garden question. I see no reason you can't put this cyp in your garden this year. Wait until the growth is strong. This kind is a heavy feeder so give it a weak dose of 20-20-20 balanced fertilizer at about a quarter strength or less once the bud starts unfurling some leaves. This species will quickly become chlorotic if it isn't fed and as a result will be weak. Once you have a strong specimen and the leaves have hardened feel free to acclimatize it to out doors and get it in your garden. Skip the perlite in your garden though as it tends to float to the surface over the years causing the surface to become too porous while the soils below compact too much. Ask more in the forum about soil blends for the outdoor beds.

Good Luck and don't give up. These are tricky plants and it took me three years of failure to figure out how to grow my acaule well.

Vaughn

Antworten:

back / zurück