Introduction and help for a beginner

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von Sylvain Burgaud am 14 Maerz, 2005 um 19:54:21

Hello all,

My name is Sylvain and I am a new French Cyp lover, even if I have grown tropical orchids for some years now. But I have recently moved and I can’t carry on growing hot orchids for the moment in my new house. In a way it’s a good thing because I have always wanted to test Cyps, and here it is!

So I will of course have some questions and would really appreciate if you would accept to help me. I have bought last week-end at the WOC a Cypripedium reginae to Wubben’s nursery. It is said to be an adult plant even if, of course, it is a simple (or maybe a double?) stem plant.

I have joined a photo to show you how it looks like at the moment. I have seen on the very well done Werner Frosch’s site that a brown appearance for a new growth is not really very welcome. What do you think about mine ? Is it a normal appearance at this stage ? It is not very green for the moment…

Moreover, Werner Frosch advised me to plant it in my garden and told me that Cypripedium reginae didn’t need any protection at all in the garden, neither against the rain, nor against the cold. However, Jack Wubben advised me not to water it at all before it is 5 or 10 cm tall. Is this difference in point of view due to the substrate used?

Finally, do you think I can still put in in my garden now or is it now too late in the season?

Well, I stop for now with my questions not to annoy you too much. Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Best regards

Sylvain

Antworten:

back / zurück