Re: Cypripedium acaule

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von Wilford Neptune am 27 Dezember, 2004 um 22:11:37

Antwort auf: Cypripedium acaule von Martin Läpple am 24 Dezember, 2004 um 14:46:54:

I am sure one might grow acaule in a variety of media, but they normally grow in nutritive poor soil, and tolerate drought, and I would worry about trying to grow in live sphagnum moss as this must be kept wet at all times or the moss will die. I have been growing acaule in pot culture for nearly 10 years, and use the duff which covers their roots in nature. I water with acidified reverse osmosis water, and do not apply any fertilizer. I have no experience starting with acaule seedlings out of flask. I believe Scott Durkee, of the VT Ladyslipper Farm, has demonstrated that the most critical aspect of culture is to maintain an acidic environment. If the pH rises above 5, the plants will die over a 3-5 year period of time. He advises to water with pure water, which has been acidified with cider vinegar to a pH between 3.5-4. Even if one has water which has excellent TDS (total dissolved solids below 50ppm), if it comes from a city tap it most likely is alkaline, as the city usually treats it to protect the pipes from corrosion-mine for instance runs about 8.5, so that I use RO for all of the North American natives, and in particular for acaule.

Antworten: