Re: Why reginae hybrids look like pure reginae

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von Camiel F. de Jong am 23 November, 2004 um 13:19:16:

Antwort auf: Re: Why reginae hybrids look like pure reginae von Lukas Hunziker am 20 November, 2004 um 19:45:36:

Dear Lukas,

In most cases I'm not sure wether we deal with true hybrids. To be sure that one is dealing with a true hybrid the flower should be protected from pollination from vectors such as bumble bees. This can be either done by applying netting to the flower before it opens or remove the pouch from the flower. Both options are unsightly so that's why people refrain from doing it.
Reginae is often used as the mother plant because it's easy to grow and largely available. When I'm observing my Cyps flowering I occasionally see a bumblebee entering the pouch of a reginae and struggling to get out. I even observed a bee that was trapped in the pouch and killed when it became stuck. This also occurs with flavum. I also witnessed them visiting multiple flowers. Although I'm a vivid Cyp enthusiast most of the time I'm not watching the flowers so I guess a lot of things happen that I do not witness. So inevitably some pollination does occur when no counter measures are taken. A true cross often results in fewer seed as compared to a cross between two plants of the same species because of compatability problems. In case pollen from an other species have been used to make a hybrid and a bumble bee pollinates the flower once more with pollen from the same species or even the same flower the foreign pollen have to compete with those. Even more, when a cross is incompatible and some additional pollination occurs with the pollen of the same species no hybrid offspring will occur. It's then thought that reginae is dominant in the hybrid but in fact it simply isn't a hybrid at all.
My personal opinion is that most of these so called hybrids are not hybrids at all but a proove of how ingenious the natural pollination strategy of Cypripediums is!

Best wishes,

Camiel

Antworten:

back / zurück