Re: Two unknown Cypripediums from Northern China

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von Michael Weinert am 31 Mai, 2000 um 20:08:22

Antwort auf: Two unknown Cypripediums from Northern China von Darcy Gunnlaugson am 31 Mai, 2000 um 20:02:07:

Hi Darcy,

I don't have enough experience in nomenclature that I would dare to guess what these plants are. But I asked Werner Frosch and here is what he said:

- single flower: If the ovary and stem is very hairy then it could be franchetii, if the origin of the plant lies in Northern China then it would be a macranthos type.

- bicolor pair: If the flowers opened before the shoot was fully developed then it could be a form of tibeticum, if the flowers opened after the shoot had its full length then it would be a type of macranthos (but the rolling of the petals is untypical). To consider a new species makes no sense unless many plants of this type appear in collections (by the way this was how C.froschii turned out to be a new species). The variation within species like macranthos is so wide that always some very untypical specimen can appear somewhere without the need to describe a new species.

For a better analysis it would be necessary to know the exact geographical origin of the plants.

I hope this helps a little bit.

Michael

Antworten: