Re: C.acaule in bogs

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von Darcy Gunnlaugson am 29 Mai, 2000 um 14:48:47

Antwort auf: C.acaule in bogs von Don Lingrell am 23 Mai, 2000 um 11:35:03:

I grow C. acaule in a sphagnum bog and find this is the most successful way to keep this touchy plant alive for me, as I am outside of it's native habitat where the fungal association does not survive. Those acaule which are in my bog were once dry land plants, but they have adapted quite well to their wet habitat. By comparison, some others which I planted in dryland situations (which imitated their native home), slowly diminished over time, so I moved them also into the bog where they have recovered. I would suggest that bog plantings are advantageous for this plant outside of it's native area, and cider vinegar is not only a necessary acidic balancing ingredient, but also seems to be a nutrient for the plant in this situation.

My bog does not have continuous running water, which I think might be detrimental. This would seem to be too wet of a situation. However, it may be possible to design this feature into it but it must be without oversaturating the acaule with water. It would just take a lot more time than I have to accomplish this.

My plastic lined depression has rotting wood in the bottom portion, peat moss in the next portion and living sphagnum as a surface dressing. I include other small ericaceous bog plants for a healthy association, and plant the C. acaule on slight hummocks at the sphagnum and peat moss interface. Water is added by a very small feeder line which is a timed zone on a sprinkler system. It works very well but one must insure that the water level does not get to a point where saturation drowns the plants. So a surface drainpipe is required. A photo is included, but essentially it shows sphagnum and acaule and does not tell much of a story of it's construction.

Best

Darcy

Antworten: