Re: Growing cyps in Hawaii

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von Holger Perner am 03 September, 2004 um 02:39:46

Antwort auf: Growing cyps in Hawaii von David W. Eickhoff am 31 August, 2004 um 08:53:05:

Dear David,

Some time ago I answered a similar question on the forum. Because our experienced growers that answered you recently obviously all think automatically at garden culture when it comes to Cypripedium, I will again state what I think about growing Cyps in the tropics:

First of all Cypripediums can be grown all year round under lights in an air-conditioned building. My friend Chuck Sheviak is doing this for years now at the New York State Museum in Albany. However, whether the building is in New York state or somewhere on Hawaii doesn’t matter as long as it is air-conditioned and some care is taken not to let the humidity sink too much (around about 50 % still works well). The following advice (according to what I learned from Chuck) I gave in the book The Genus Cypripedium:

Light: for a bench 1 m wide 9 lines of fluorescence tubes ( color: day-light or a mix of cool white and gro lux), growth tips should be 15-25 cm from the tubes. Day-length 12 hours with early growth, 16 hours during main season and down to 10 hours for starting dormancy. Humidity range between 30-70 % rel. humidity, optimum 70-80 %.

Temperature: Growing season 17-20 °C day, 10-15 °C at night. About 6 month after initiation of growth the temperature has to be dropped to 10 °C and watering reduced to start dormancy. The dormant plants have to be stored approx. 3 month at around 4 °C. They will start to grow at the end of their artificial winter and have to be placed at temperatures of around 10 °C and 12 hours light, however, some only start to grow after taken out of the 4 °C regime.

For cool-growing South-American Masdevallias and other pleurothallid orchids many people in hot-summer regions have specially designed growing chambers/rooms. I just recently saw such a one in Tokyo, where during summer the climate is very hot and humid. Why not doing the same for such wonderful orchids like Cypripediums? With technically controlled conditions as described it should be easily possible to stretch the flowering season over several month (just don’t put all plants at the same time into dormancy and don’t take them all out at the same time). If one grows Phragmipediums or Paphiopedilums successful in a region where they would die within minutes during the cold part of the year when not placed in a specially designed growing area, I am convinced that it is possible to do the same with Cypripediums in tropical climates. They are not just for the lucky ones living in cool temperate climates!

Greetings

Holger

Antworten:

back / zurück