Re: Two new Cypripedium hybrids

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von G. Raschun jun. am 11 August, 2004 um 13:42:33

Antwort auf: Re: Two new Cypripedium hybrids von Holger Perner am 07 August, 2004 um 04:27:54:

Dear Mr. Holger Perner,

There exist photos of the flowers which can show us more details, but no digital one. So mayby it is possible to scan and publish them.

This year plants have flowered from two different batches. The blooms are identical, I hope the other grower has made photos of the second batch.

In my opinion at first we have no experience with making hybrids with Cyp. reginae. It is the most common species, easy to grow and propagate, shows a high rate of germination. So every grower starts with this species. But there are only hybrids known with Cyp. pubescens and Cyp. lichiangense (etc.). The reason is that there is a genetic problem, that you can also find with the European species Himantoglossum hircinium. It doesn't matter if you pollinate Cyp. reginae with many species, you will receive Cyp. reginae as result. Attemps with Phragmipedium besseae as pollen show the same effect! There are plants of the cross Cyp. reginae x macranthos and Cyp. reginae x tibeticum which show a shoot like the pollen source, but bloom mostly like the mother plant.

This year I try to pollinate this plants in all directions, mayby the new crosses will split in the next generation?

I accept the result of the cross Cyp. reginae x acaule, because I have gained a lot of experience with making hybrids of this common species. It is easy to determine a plant here (now there are 3 different opinions), but for this report many years were necessary.

I can't confirm your classification. I have obtained all plants, Cyp. reginae, Cyp. 'Ulla Silkens' and Cyp. flavum. But there are many differences to Cyp. flavum which one can't see on this photo. The hybrid is closer to Cyp. 'Ulla Silkens'.

A further question is the colour of the blooms which are all nearly white, sometimes with greenish petals (same colouration as albinos of Cyp. acaule).

Real clarity would bring a molecular-biological analysis, but is it necessary and an aim? At first I raise Cyps for myself...

If you want I can send material for further explanation,

Best wishes

G. Raschun jun.

Antworten:

back / zurück