Re: Cypripedium - virus confirmed

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von Hideka Kobayashi am 18 Mai, 2000 um 08:13:32:

Antwort auf: Re: Cypripedium - virus confirmed von Darcy Gunnlaugson am 09 Mai, 2000 um 23:24:40:

Hi, Darcy.

No, plants do not develop immunity. Immunity is misunderstood concept in plant pathology. In addition, even if you do not see symptoms, it does not mean plants developed immunity. Dissapearance of viral symptom is called 'masking,' and it frequently happens with plants infected with virus.

Again, this does not mean virus dissapeared from plants. One thing I would like to mention is, some (many?) varigated plants do carry viruses, and the variegation is in fact caused by viruses.

This might be true, but I would assume it was due to genetic diversity as well. The one carries resistant gene(s) might have survived because of reistance to the virus.

I am not sure if virus is 'usually' transmitted in this manner. It really depends on types/species of viruses. The two most major viruses for orchids (ORSV and CyMV) are mechanically transmitted. However, vectors have not been found *yet.* In addition, many viruses are transmitted through seeds or even by pollination. Some suspect this might be the case with orchids (virus transmission via pollen).

No, it won't likely happen. you might be putting a selection pressure, though.

This is just for your information, but no *mycoplasma* has been described for plants in a strict sense. It was more accurately called mycoplasma-like organism (MLO), and the relationship between two was rather unclear. Now the ones used to be called MLO is now called phytoplasma. The branching characteristics of poinsettia are caused by this organism, and horticulturally considered to be desirable.

Hideka

Antworten: