Re: Using Native Cyps

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von Matti Niissalo am 17 Mai, 2004 um 18:32:52

Antwort auf: Using Native Cyps von Carmen Bruntin am 15 Mai, 2004 um 12:21:10:

Hello Carmen,

Paul mentioned the helleborines spreading "like rats", which is also true for Listera ovata and Dactylorhizas. In Europe, they often grow in road-sides and other disturbed land, and they can grow anywhere from bogs to dark woods or dry meadows, seedlings often blooming just a couple of years after the first plant has appeared. Not so with Cypripediums, which are very presise on where they want to live. They are also slow to increase in size and set seed, and they don't seem to produce much seeds when brought outside their own enviroment (again in contrast with the three others that make tons of seed from almost all flowers in any conditions). So everyone in the States with planted Dactylorhizas in your garden, look out for the developing seeds, it might be wise to cut the flowers off after blooming and let the vegetative reproduction do its magics, but with Cyps I would just be glad if someone had one or two seedlings in the garden grounds. Michael was also right, being afraid of the hybrids should not lead to prefering wild-collected plants. But if one can get laboratory-propagated Cyp species in stead of hybrids, they surely have more conservation value as long as their origin is known. That way someone can start growing plants to wild sites if something happens to the wild populations.

Have a nice blooming season everyone, my plants are still small but I wouldn't be home to enjoy them anyway!

Matti

Antworten:

back / zurück