Remarks on C. farreri and fasciolatum (with photo)

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von Gerhard Raschun am 22 Oktober, 2003 um 00:00:14

Cyp. fasciolatum is often sold as Cyp. farreri and true farreris are rare in culture. Therefore I would like to share pictures of my plants. On the right side Cyp. fasciolatum, increased from 2 shoots last year to 6 this year. On the left Cyp. farreri, from 1 shoot to 2.

farreri is a delicate plant with less and longer roots than fasciolatum. fasciolatum forms dense clumps. According to my opinion fasciolatum is not only one of the most beautiful but also one of the easiest species in cultivation. Both plants which I repotted have tripled the number of shoots. formosanum is not so vigorous under my conditions.

farreri and fasciolatum germinate well from green pods. However both species tend to produce phenolic substances on the agar soon and have to be replated more often. It seems as if farreri seedlings don't reach the same size as other species in vitro and that they should already be deflasked with a root length of 3-4 cm.

I am quite confident to solve the problems with the propagation of farreri in the near future and then be able to offer deflasked seedlings in order to reduce the pressure on wild populations.

Antworten:

back / zurück