Trigonopedia observations

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von Darcy Gunnlaugson am 14 Juli, 2003 um 23:33:37:

Pursuant to my earlier observations (no.1, no.2) on setbacks to trigonopedias, ostensibly the large leaf species here, please note the following:

If these plants are not copiously spotted, it is an indication of unhappiness. They are very well marked with spots when they are happiest and usually produce bloom only with such spotting. If they are enduring conditions of too much moisture, tree root invasion, short roots from recent movement, or impoverished mediums, they will exhibit lack of spotting and flowers. This is a danger signal and action is required. And, they do not like being moved around much, as I earlier noted, so hopefully such a correction can be implemented in situ.

The smaller species within this alliance also exhibit a lack of spotting when they are not happy, again likely due to moister conditions than they would prefer. Micranthum leaves, for example, will remain entirely green without spots, and increase vegetatively without blooming, until a season when the moisture content is perfect, and then they emerge well marked with spots and produce blooms. Occasionally leaves in the same colony will exhibit spotting as well as leaves that are purely green. Speculation at one time was of dimorphism, but this trait is simply a litmus paper on the happiness of the plants so effected. The same holds for the larger species like fargesii and sichuanenese, which will be sparsely spotted and lack bloom in conditions not to their preference, but then when things are to their liking, they will emerge well marked and often (but not always) with a flower bud. Drier winter conditions are required and not too much moisture should be availed before they emerge. Winters here are mild, seldom freezing, due to the maritime influence, so I cannot comment on hardiness. Perhaps those in colder climates can post on hardiness of this alliance there?

Antworten:

back / zurück