Re: more on C. regiane albolabium

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von Peter Corkhill am 28 April, 2000 um 22:31:11

Antwort auf: C. regiane albolabium von Darcy Gunnlaugson am 29 Maerz, 2000 um 06:04:40:

Dear Darcy

Regarding white reginae I had some correspondence on this phenomenon with Bill Steele who told me about a plant he found growing in the wild a couple of seasons ago. I quote what Bill wrote me here with his permission:-

“I don't think that the plant was an "unstable aberrant form" that will be normal colored under cooler conditions. The plant was growing in the shade, and the spring when I saw it in flower had been cool. The whiteness of the flower was quite striking when compared with normal colored plants nearby. Only close inspection showed the internal pink striations that gave the flower a hint of a pink blush.

I don't know that there is such a thing as an "unstable aberrant form" that is white only when exposed to warm temperatures. I've seen thousands of "normal" reginae flowers, and there appears to be a whole continuum of color variations. Those plants growing in the sun generally produce colors more pale than those growing in the shade. Among those growing in full sun, some have flowers that are nearly white but do show faint pink striations or blotches on the outside of the lip. I suspect that if these plants were growing in the shade, the lip would have a more normal pink color; I wouldn't consider them as an "unstable aberrant form," but only as a part of a continuum whose flowers seem more influenced by temperature ( or is it light?) than the majority.

I am certain that the true albolabium is not sterile. A friend found a couple such plants in Vermont and has lots of seedlings coming along both from the selfing of one plant and a crossing of the two. I imagine it will be several years before there are any flowers.”

We live in exciting times!

Best wishes

Peter

Antworten: