It is a tall C.tibeticum! (with photo)

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von Holger Perner am 18 Mai, 2003 um 09:43:18

Antwort auf: ID of unknown Cyp von Uta von Rad am 10 Mai, 2003 um 06:17:20:

Dear Uta,

your plant in question is an interesting form of Cyp. tibeticum. Interesting because it has the habit of Cyp. franchetii, but differs from that species in having no pubescence on the ovary. Well, Cyp. franchetii has sometimes the habit of Cyp. tibeticum and many tibeticums have a more or less hairy ovary, like in Huanglong, where you can find any degree of hairiness - from totally bald to nearly densely pubescent - in our vast population. Also any shape of the flower, from short petaled to long petaled etc. That your plant has 4 leaves and not the usual 3 does not make it to a new species!

The guess of Norbert Steffen, your plant might be Cyp. calcicolum (syn. smithii) is misleading, because calcicolum is usually smaller than Cyp. tibeticum and has rather small leaves. The locus typicus, i.e. the place where the type specimens of both, Cyp. smithii and Cyp. calcicolum where collected is Huanglong. Because their is no difference betwenn the two type specimens, they are synonymous and the long used name Cyp. smithii was already use in the late 19th century for a horticultural Paphiopedilum hybrid, therefore we have to use the name Cyp. calcicolum for this dark little slipper orchid. Last year I could take a photo of both, Cyp. tibeticum and calcicolum growing side by side in Huanglong. I have attached it to show the difference between the two species.

Greetings,

Holger Perner

C.tibeticum (left) and C.calcicolum (syn. C.smithii)

Antworten:

back / zurück