Re: C. japonicum

back / zurück

Abgeschickt von Michael Weinert am 24 April, 2000 um 09:53:21

Antwort auf: C. japonicum von Darcy Gunnlaugson am 29 Maerz, 2000 um 06:12:33:

Hi Darcy,

I don't have long enough experience with C.japonicum to tell you something about "shy bloom" but there is another point I think may be interesting:

If you cultivate C.japonicum in well aerated soil then the rhizome tends to dive very deeply in the ground. A friend had a plant with a new shoot coming out of the holes at the bottom of the pot! The reason seems similar to the growing depth of new-forming tubers of Mediterranean orchids: The new shoot tries to reach a depth where enough humidity is guaranteed for its survival during dry periods. Therefore the new shoot bud doesn't stop poking deeper into the soil unless it finds a layer with higher carbon dioxide or lower oxygen concentration (at least I think that one of these two gases may be the trigger).

If you have a well aerated substrate then you will always find the shoots of C.japonicum (and the tubers of Mediterranean orchids) very deep in the soil. Of course they will loose a lot of energy to emerge the shoot over the surface. This may be the reason for "shy bloom".

My solution with C.japonicum is to plant the rhizome just above(!) a thick layer (15 cm) of limefree sand. The upper layer (3 cm) is normal, crumbly substrate. The rhizome will stay just above the sand layer with the roots growing in the sand. So you can avoid deep buried rhizomes or tubers with the species mentioned.

Michael

Antworten: